Sunday, May 9, 2010

Celebrating Moms

Today, I think fondly of my mom. My mommy, my madre, my mamacita...or just my ma. She goes by many names. I love her for who she is and for all that she's done in my life and continues to do. She's my friend and cheerleader. She gives the best hugs. She gets more beautiful with age. She's had her share of heartaches in life, but that's made her stronger, wiser, more compassionate. I admire her immensely. It's an honor to be her daughter. I am so grateful...I love you, ma!

While my heart brims with thankfulness today for the amazing women in my life, it must also endure a few twinges of pain. When I wasn't pregnant last Mother's Day, I thought to myself...no biggie, surely by next Mother's Day I will be celebrating. I'll be part of the club. I'll be one of the many gals being applauded at church. And here I sit. Wondering if I should even attend a church service today. While I'm grateful for a pastoral team who is sensitive to those of us suffering through infertility on Mother's Day, I just don't know if I can sit in a room full of beaming mothers and growing bellies. Sometimes you just have to sit one out for the sake of your sanity. Today might be one of those times.

It's often difficult to articulate the feelings that come with Mother's Day. On the one hand you celebrate, on the other you grieve. So here is a blog post from a fellow woman who understands the grieving part. Thank you dear Katie, for sending this along to me: For Those With Empty Arms on Mother's Day

And for all you mom's out there, squeeze your little ones extra tight today. Say an extra 'thank you' for the miraculous blessing of their lives.

The Lord is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit.
-Psalm 34:18

2 comments:

Katie Ganshert said...

Glad you liked that link, Holly love. Can't wait to talk! Thinking about you!!

stephseef said...

ps - i'm SO glad to be at a church that doesn't have to say anything about mother's day - at the end of the service scott prayed a prayer that was for moms AND THOSE WHO HAVE THEM. which is all of us. it wasn't fraught with the drama of 'let's give the moms a flower' 'let's have the moms stand'. gag me.

love.